The initial consultation is a very important part of the overall treatment process. Scheduling this appointment is simple. Either give us a call at either of our locations, send us an email, or fill out the form and one of our staff will contact you during our regular office hours. Many of our patients are referred from their general dentist, but keep in mind that no referral is necessary (even from insurance) in order to have a consultation.
We view the initial consultation as possibly the most important visit of the whole treatment. It is here where we gather the information needed to start the entire patient care process. We allow almost an hour for this visit, and do not charge the patient or insurance. Why? Orthodontic treatment is a significant investment with results that last a lifetime, and we want our prospective patients to have plenty of time to get to know us, express their desires and concerns about treatment, and have plenty of time to have all of their questions answered.
Here is a behind-the-scenes look at a one of our typical initial consultations. Keep in mind that we schedule these appointments during our “off-peak” hours (typically between 9:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.), so that the doctor and staff have ample one-on-one time with the patient and family.
- We ask for some personal information. By obtaining your demographic and medical/dental history, the doctor is able to begin to understand your concerns and assess any treatment needs. We will also ask for your insurance information so that we can contact your insurance company and verify any orthodontic benefits you may have. If we’re able to get this info ahead of the consultation (via our online forms or fax/email), it can save some time at the appointment and allow us to get a head start on your evaluation.
- Exam, X-Rays and photographs.Before meeting with Dr. Beyer, we will take a digital panoramic x-ray, digital photos of the inside of the mouth and face, and some measurements of crowding, spacing, and bite. These will help Dr. Beyer to make an accurate assessment of the overall orthodontic condition. Keep in mind ALL of our records are digital which means far less radiation than traditional x-rays, and all of this information and can be emailed directly to you and your dentist at the push of a button.
- Meeting with Dr. Beyer. After reviewing the records, Dr. Beyer will meet with you in a private consultation area where the records will be visible on a large computer screen for everyone present to view. He will offer a thorough diagnosis and present treatment options. In rare or particularly difficult cases, additional records or referrals to other specialists may be necessary before settling on a final treatment plan. Part of this process is also addressing concerns you or your dentist have, and incorporating those into the treatment plan.
- Treatment Coordinator meeting.This is an opportunity to meet our Treatment Coordinator, who will spend some time going over the overall process of how treatment/appointments work in our office, the different types of braces, colors, Invisalign, etc. She will also present fees for treatment, insurance benefits, our multiple payment plan options, and address any other questions/concerns you may have.
- Put the plan into action.We are typically able to go from the initial consultation to starting treatment in one week or less, which puts you on the road your new smile faster than most offices. By not using spacers, bands, and other out-of-date bulky and uncomfortable appliances, one 60-minute visit to start your treatment is all you need!
For those patients who are not quite ready for treatment, we will place you on a recall schedule at specific intervals to monitor growth and development and/or dental work as you progress to the ideal time to begin orthodontic treatment.
Schedule a new patient consultation today. There is no referral is necessary.
If it’s after normal business hours, or you simply prefer to reach out via email, please send us a note at: email@example.com